Diligence, persistence, strength, perception, and courage — even God stands in awe of him that possesses these
— Kavi Bilhana
LISTEN TO THE PODCAST TO KNOW WHY SHYAMALA IS AN IMPRESSIVE EMPRESS
Shyamala is the Founder Managing Trustee & Principal of Dharani School of Performing Arts established in 1987. The school was started with a couple of students with the aim of weaning the students from the frenzy of youth festivals. It has now grown into a full fledged arts institution, encouraging the children to change their outlook towards classical arts , helping them make art a part of their life, irrespective of the profession they follow. Shyamala has been teaching Bharatanatyam for the past 33 years starting from 1987 and Mohiniyattam for the past 26 years since 1994. She has given travelled all around the world teaching and performing in many countries such as Germany, Hungary, Russia, USA, Austria, Canada, etc.
AWARDS / ACHIEVEMENTS
- Kerala Sangeetha Nataka Akademy Award – 2005 for contribution to Mohiniyattam
- Sri Ramakrishna Seva Puraskaram – 2012 – for her outstanding contribution in the field of performing arts.
- ‘Vocational Excellence Award’ from Rotary Club of Cochin Queen – 2014/15 for outstanding contribution to Art and Culture.
- Nruthya Kala Ratna award -2017 – from U Rise Vedic Sangeetha Academy, Bangalore.
- Kalasagar Award 2017 for Mohiniyattom in memory of Kalamandalam Krishnan Kutty Poduval.
- Future Kerala Educational Excellence Awards 2019– consistent efforts and contribution to the Classical Arts Education
You can follow Shyamala on