The function of the artist in a disturbed society is to give awareness of the universe, to ask the right questions, and to elevate the mind.
– Marina Abramovic
LISTEN TO THE PODCAST TO KNOW WHY SURANGAMA IS AN IMPRESSIVE EMPRESS
- Graduate with Psychology Honours from Ranchi University (placed First Class Second)
- M.Sc. in Applied Psychology from Kolkata University and a Career Counsellor.
- Done Executive course in computer.
- Dance Teacher and a Clinical Psychologist
- Conducts a flourishing dance centre ‘Suchanda’ at her residence, where students of all age groups are taught Kathak, Bharat Natyam, Folk Dance, Manipuri, Kathakali, Dance with Rabindra Sangeet and creative dance. The students appear for dance examinations conducted by Prayag Sangeet Samiti.
- She gives lecture demonstration to foreign delegations from Germany and USA. She also gave demonstrations to artistes in Pina Bausch’s group when they were in Kolkata.
- She has been teaching Indian classical dances to the students of International Partnership For Service Learning(IPSL), which is based in New York for the last ten years.
- Received “Sangeet Prabhakar” title for Kathak from Prayag Sangeet Samiti, Allahabad, in 1978. Placed in First Division with distinction.
- Received “Sangeet Praveen” title (which is equivalent to Master’s Degree M.A.) for Kathak (Theory and Practical) from Prayag Sangeet Samiti, Allahabad, in 1991. Placed in First Division and stood First in India in order of merit and received Gold Medal. (Prayag Sangeet Samiti is the most renowned and prestigious University of Classical Dance and Music in India).
- Been a Judge for Nehru Talent Search Competition for more than 8 years.
- Examiner of theoretical and practical examination of Classical Indian dances at Allahabad, Kolkata, Jamshedpur, etc.
- She was invited as Guest Professor by the Department of Applied Theater Science of Justus Liebig University (Giessen, Germany) to teach the Theory and Practice of Kathak Dance for the winter semester of 2005. She is the first Indian Kathak artiste to receive this honour.
- Combined natya sashtra with psycho analysis and cognitive behaviour therapy. Introduced this unique therapy methodology in Austria, Korea and Cambridge.
- Through the years she has brought together psychology and Kathak to create a new genre of performing arts.
- She believes that performing arts has therapeutic effect on human well-being.
- Her focus is to bring about peace and harmony through her various innovative dance renditions.
- English, Hindi and Bengali
You can follow Surangama on
SOME INTERESTING INFO
Scholars like Rabindranath Tagore and Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa.
Parents, grandparents and Dance gurus, in addition to her own children.
Leadership is a beautiful positive quality which shows the path of truth to everyone. A leader has a burning inner truth that brightens the lives of people around her. This ultimate inner truth should give meaning and positivity to the lives of this generation and the generations to follow.
Rather than nagging or fighting, it is better to have a positive approach – be humble and polite.
Success is not determined by the society. It is determined by us. Self satisfied woman is a successful woman. Personal and professional success depends on the goal one has set. It is not the fame or money that determines success, rather the passion of doing a job and paving the way for your followers makes a woman successful.
Some Tips given by Our Empress
Discover and nurture your unique talents. Avoid the luxury of self pity.
Enjoy your profession. Do it for the sake of pure enjoyment and not for fame or money.
Performing Artists should do rigorous practice and dedicate oneself to one’s passion.
Why we find her Impressive
She acknowledges life as a battlefield, especially for women leaders. For a woman to be a successful leader, a loving wife and a caring mother, one should be ready to face the challenges.
She leads a beautiful life fulfilling the needs of her family members, doing her household chores and finds her time for herself & for her passion – dance and music.
Her philosophy is to be like a Hansa (Swan) which takes out milk from a solution of milk and water. Hurdles are like water and opportunities are like milk for her.