How to take care of your mental health while studying abroad?
Speaking about mental health is not a taboo anymore. Being away from your family and friends, the cultural adjustment and the new environment can have a bearing on your mental health. Depression and anxiety can arise when you are studying abroad. Here are a few things that can help you manage stress levels and ensure your mental wellbeing.
- Plan: Plan your stay abroad in advance. Small things like planning your arrival helps manage stress levels. Take printouts of maps to key places so that you can access them without wifi. Avoid last minute planning.
- Eat nutritious food: Ensure your brain and body gets the required vitamins and minerals it needs. Do not compromise on food. Either plan on cooking yourself or budget to eat out.
- Sleep well: Due to various reasons, for instance, jet lag, or a hectic schedule, or merely the excitement of everything new, you may tend to compromise on sleep. Ensure you get the right amount of sleep your body requires.
- Imbibe a routine: have a morning routine, night routine. A routine for yourself during class days.
- Be physically active, go outside: exercise can help with mood swings.
- Do not force yourself to travel
- Stay in touch with family and friends: Ensure you stay in touch with family and friends back home.
- Build a community: Be social, have a circle of friends you can go out with.
- Seek help: do not hesitate to seek help when needed.
Disclaimer: The views/opinions expressed in this article belong to the author. Bhogya.online is neither responsible nor liable for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information in the article.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER
Stay tuned and be the first to know when new content get published!