Be grateful for challenges because… had there been no difficulties and no thorns in the way, then [each woman and] man would have been in their primitive state and no progress made in civilisation and mental culture.
– Dr. Anandi Gopal Joshi
LISTEN TO THE PODCAST TO KNOW WHY KALYANI IS AN IMPRESSIVE EMPRESS
A humanitarian and medical doctor who believes that there is a lot to learn in this short span of life from the world as well from each other! Born and brought up in the rich Dravidian culture, educated with the sense of right and wrong and encouraged from childhood to believe in gender equality by my beloved parents and siblings, started my medical career in 1991 after graduating from Madurai Medical college, first as a private practitioner for 7 years where I learnt about the practice of doctoring as an art, then in Indo Tibetan Border police as a priviliged medical officer for 10 years where I learned to be a part of an elite force and take lead role as an officer, finally joined Medicins sans frontieres which made me become humble, appreciate the resilience of human spirit against all odds and inspires me to become a better human being!
- Conducting of free medical camps in remote, difficult terrains of India for the past 7 years (average2-4 camps/ year).
- Providing Emergency medical care in rescue situations in place of postings.
- Volunteered for the United Nations Peace Keeping Mission in Congo (MONUC) at contingent level -1 hospital for 17 months.
- Worked as Frontline health worker in isolation unit involving inpatient care, triage, outreach activities and national staff health care for a period of 5+ weeks treating EBOLA patients at Liberia.
You can follow Kalyani on
In this conversation, you will
- Understand why Kalyani chose to become a Medical Doctor
- Get to know her mentors
- Understand the importance of leading & mentoring
- Learn the importance of family support
- Know the inner workings of a Doctor
- Understand what it means to be working as a Frontline health worker in a critical environment
- Get some tips on how to practice doctoring as an art.