“Exploring Hinduism – The Overview”, is the first course in the series titled “Exploring Hinduism” that facilitates a structured exploration of various facets of one of the world’s most ancient family of traditions. This course will prepare the student to see the world from a Hindu perspective and experience how different it is, from the one that they already know. Open to both teens and their parents (and grandparents too) together or separately, this series is designed to take discussion and contemplation from beyond the course window, into the portals of home and family.
Who is a Hindu? Why are they called a Hindus? Who started the Hindu “religion”? When did it start? What makes Hinduism different? Is being a Hindu relevant in today’s world? Answers to such questions and more await the students in this course.
Course content: This course involves approximately 20 sessions of 90 minutes each delivered in one quarter. These sessions will cover a variety of topics and themes, such as:
- Hindu Geography – The land of the Hindus
- Hindu History – How ancient is Hinduism really?
- The Ramayana – Historical Figure or Mythical Hero
- The Mahabharata – Did the Kurukshetra war actually happen?
- The Spread of Hindu thought and ideas around the world
- Hindu conception of Divinity – Understanding Gods and Goddesses
- Hindu conception of Divinity – Consciousness and Matter
- Hindu symbolism – Representing the Divine
- Hindu conception of Divinity – Male and Female divinities
- Hindu Sampradaya and Parampara – Rishi, Guru, Yogi, Acharya
- Hindu Cosmology and Astronomy – Jyotisha
- Hindu Timekeeping and Calendar – Panchanga
- Hindu accomplishments and contributions to the world
- The Hindu worldview and lifestyle – The emphasis on spirituality
- The Hindu Social System – Varna, Jati and the so-called Caste system
- Women in Hindu Society – Breaking some myths
- Invasions and Colonization
- India’s Freedom Struggle
- Hindu Ethos
- Hindu Life today – Being happy, healthy, organic and responsible
This course can be taken as the inaugural course of a whole series titled “Exploring Hinduism – The Overview”, or as a stand-alone course. It can be enjoyed by teenagers in the age group 12-18, on their own or together with their parents. Alternatively, parents who have teens may also benefit from this course.
Course Learning Objectives:
In this course students will be able to:
- Develop a deeper understanding of history, culture, and traditions of Hinduism
- Discover the various ways in which Hindus conceptualize and relate to the Divine
- Examine the wisdom of ancient Hindu traditions in the light of contemporary life
- Revisit and Clarify certain pervasive myths that are prevalent regarding Hinduism
- Recognize the place of Hinduism in the world and its contribution to humanity
- Discover new conversational spaces within the family unexplored so far
- Learn to describe and talk about Hindu ideas and thought with others .
Instructors: Dr. D.K. Hema Hari & Dr. D. K. Hari, from Bharatgyan
- Upon clicking on the REGISTER NOW link below, you will be redirected to the Hindu University of America(www.hua.org) website, to complete the registration and make payments.
- Please choose ANZ timezone at the HUA site.
- Please select the number of people who will be attending the course.
- Please mention "Referred by Bhogya.online" in the Order Notes. This will help us get a small commission that helps in the bringing more such courses to you and also in the maintenance of this website.
Weather data is currently not available for this location
Wind stec_replace_current_wind stec_replace_current_wind_units stec_replace_current_wind_direction
Humidity stec_replace_current_humidity %
Feels like stec_replace_current_feels_like °stec_replace_current_temp_units
Next 24 Hours
Powered by openweathermap.org